What is a Caterpillar Roll?
Caterpillar roll is basically a reverse Dragon roll. Avocado on the outside, eel and tempura fried shrimps inside. Delicious.
You can get quite creative making it. I used sprouts for antennas and a tiny bit of sriracha sauce for the eyes. A bit of masago on top of each piece really made a difference in look an taste.
For this recipe I used tempura mix, but you can easily make tempura ‘from scratch’ with flower, water and a beaten egg. I’ll post a recipe for that as well as soon as I can.
One more thing
It’s a marathon. Dragon roll is a more complicated roll to make due to the heavy prep. Grilling the eel and frying the shrimp takes a bit of extra time so do plan ahead.
Caterpillar sushi roll 🐛 recipe
If you're a sushi lover looking to up your sushi-making game, then you're in for a treat! The Caterpillar Roll is a popular sushi roll that's not only visually stunning but also packed with delicious flavors and textures. This sushi roll features a filling of savory eel and tempura fried shrimp, all wrapped up in creamy avocado. The result is a mouthwatering combination of flavors and textures that's sure to impress your friends and family. In this recipe, we'll show you how to make your own Caterpillar Roll at home, so grab your sushi mat and let's get started!
- 1 Nori sheet
- ⅔ cup Sushi rice
- 1 Unagi Grilled Eel
- 6 med size Shrimp
- Tempura powder
- Oven grill the BBQ eel for about 5 minutes
- Mix ½ cup tempura mix and ½ cup cold water to make tempura batter
- Dip shrimp in tempura
- Deep fry until golden, leave to cool on paper towel
- Cut a nori sheet in half, and cover with sushi rice
- Flip the nori over, and place the shrimp and avocado across the nori
- Roll it as you would an inside out sushi roll
- Slice half an avocado in thin slices and place them on on the roll to fully cover it
- Cover the roll with plastic tape. Use the sushi rolling mat to tighten the avocado to the roll.
- Cut the roll through the plastic tape in 8 pieces. Remove the tape, and transfer the sushi to a serving plate. Decorate.
Rate this recipe
23 People Rated This Recipe
No comments yet.