What is a Caterpillar Roll?
Caterpillar roll is basically a reverse Dragon roll. Avocado on the outside, eel and tempura fried shrimps inside. Delicious.
You can get quite creative making it. I used sprouts for antennas and a tiny bit of sriracha sauce for the eyes. A bit of masago on top of each piece really made a difference in look an taste.
For this recipe I used tempura mix, but you can easily make tempura ‘from scratch’ with flower, water and a beaten egg. I’ll post a recipe for that as well as soon as I can.
One more thing
It’s a marathon. Dragon roll is a more complicated roll to make due to the heavy prep. Grilling the eel and frying the shrimp takes a bit of extra time so do plan ahead.
Caterpillar sushi roll 🐛 recipe
- 1 Nori sheet
- ⅔ cup Sushi rice
- 1 Unagi Grilled Eel
- 6 med size Shrimp
- Tempura powder
- Oven grill the BBQ eel for about 5 minutes
- Mix ½ cup tempura mix and ½ cup cold water to make tempura batter
- Dip shrimp in tempura
- Deep fry until golden, leave to cool on paper towel
- Cut a nori sheet in half, and cover with sushi rice
- Flip the nori over, and place the shrimp and avocado across the nori
- Roll it as you would an inside out sushi roll
- Slice half an avocado in thin slices and place them on on the roll to fully cover it
- Cover the roll with plastic tape. Use the sushi rolling mat to tighten the avocado to the roll.
- Cut the roll through the plastic tape in 8 pieces. Remove the tape, and transfer the sushi to a serving plate. Decorate.