California roll sushi
About the California roll
Before attempting your first California roll, you should be able to make a basic inside out roll. Check out our "How inside out rolls
" if you're not sure how to do so. The California sushi roll is perfect for those who don't care much for raw fish. The main ingredient is imitation crab sticks (made of cooked Surimi fish meat), and so this sushi roll is easier to make and is safe for pregnant women to enjoy.
Yield: 1 Roll = 8 pieces of sushi.
Last edited: 186
Calories, Prep time: 12 min
<, Cook time: 1 hour
- 3/4 cup sushi rice.
- 1 nori sheets
- 80gr Imitation crab meat (sticks). (Surimi)
- Black and/or white sesame seeds
- Tobiko(Flying fish roe)
How to make a California roll
- Wrap your bamboo mat with plastic wrap. This is necessary in order to prevent rice from sticking to the mat.
- Take a nori sheet, and break it in half. Place one half on the mat, with the shiny side facing down.
- Grab a handful of prepared sushi rice, and spread it gently over the nori - about 1cm high. There's no need to press the rice onto the nori, only spread it.
- Sprinkle a spoonful of Tobiko and/or sesame seeds evenly over the rice.
- Flip the nori so that the rice is now facing down.
- Line up the crab meat sticks along the nori.
- Next to it, line up 1-2 thick slices avocado.
- Tip - if you're not serving the dish immediately, you might want to squirt a few drops of lemon on the avocado, to prevent it from turning brown.
- Cut into 8 equal pieces. For best results first cut in half, then cut each half into two, and then again.
Best served with soy sauce, pickled ginger (gari) and wasabi.
Please, be social!