Why sweet potato?
A sweet potato.
Sweet potato works extremely well in sushi. It does so especially when used as topping for an inside-out roll. Its color is naturally vivid and thuscontributes much to the aesthetic effort.
Sweet potato can also be used for sushi roll filling, with or without tempura - it works very well, especially for veggie rolls as the main filling.
Since it is a hard root vegetable, the sweet potato requires some preparation in order to be used in a sushi dish. Below you can find some suggestions how to do so.
Using sweet potato for sushi topping
- Wash the sweet potato thoroughly, and remove the skin with a peeler.
- Use the peeler to slice thin slices of the sweet potato. Peel them as big as you can.
- Fry the slices for a few seconds in hot oil.
- After frying, let cool for a few minutes.
- Refrain from laying the fried slices on top of each other, it tends to cling.
- Once chilled, cover an uncut inside roll with fried sweet potato slices, and tighten with the bamboo mat.
- Cut the roll.
Please, be social!